Terms and Phrases To Avoid in Your Dissertation
By time your are writing at the doctoral dissertation level you probably will have a pretty good grasp of what research paper writing is all about. That said-there is always room for improvement. When it comes to your dissertation you should be prepared to deliver your best. This is why we have included some suggestions for terms and phrases that you should not use when you write a dissertation paper.
- Do not make broad generalizations for example words like all, always, must, never, and every, should not be used without evidential proof.
- Never use statements or assertions as if they are proven facts unless you have a source to back your statement up.
- Try not to make declarative statements about what you intend to achieve by your research. Try to keep a scholarly tone.
- Do not be redundant. Stay away from repetitive phrases or paragraphs that repeat the same point over and over again. Paraphrase when you do need to repeat information that has already been covered.
- Stay away from adjectives like: amazing, outstanding, and incredible. These are not academic.
- Avoid clichés and casual language that is too flourished. Stick with scholarly language. Make use of your vocabulary if you’ve used the same word too many times try to find a new way to explain your self.
- Keep emotional language out of your writing. A dissertation is no place for sarcasm, innuendo, hostility, slanted references etc. All scholarly writing should present a certain level of humility and recognition of a topics complexity
- Try not to include adverbs like: really, extremely, or absolutely
- Don’t include vague pronouns such as we, us, you, them, their, our, etc. Always try to define whom the terms refer to.
- Also be careful to not include expletive constructions like there is, there was, it is, it was etc. These statements should not be included in academic writing; the “there” and “it” should be clearly defined.
- Use full words instead of contractions, Do not instead of don’t for example.
Writing A Great Dissertation
A dissertation is a highly complex piece of writing. There are many rules about how to best approach composing your dissertation paper. This is why it is recommended that all scholars submitting a dissertation have a professional proofreader look their paper over. This will help to assure that your language is consistent and appropriate for a dissertation paper project.